Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

What we do when our kids are sick

***Warning, as much as I tried not to, I ended up sounding a little preachy in this post***

A couple days ago I had the kids out running errands and stopped for lunch at an establishment with a play area for children. As we were eating I noticed a kid on the other side of the restaurant that was obviously sick. Green runny nose, hacking cough, the works. When my children had finished eating we went to the play room. They had about 5 minutes of play time when I looked up to see that sick kid and his mom walking through the door. I quickly scooped up the kids and headed out to avoid the germs.

Since our play time was cut short, after we had finished up our other errands I took the kids to the mall to play in the play area there. It was almost the same scenario again with a really sick kid, me scooping, the kids leaving. So then I spent a ridiculous amount of change for the kids to ride one of those motorized machines and we headed out. Maybe I watch for this stuff more because my son is more susceptible to germs after a serious illness as an infant. I didn't notice anyone else scooping their kids up to leave. I would do it again in a heartbeat though.

As an adult, I know that when I am sick I would rather be home than any other place. To get specific, I would like to be home on the couch with a blanket, hot tea, and a chick flick, but that hasn't happened since I had kids. I can't imagine why people think their kids are any different. They need a comfortable environment and they need their mommy.

When one of my kids is sick, everything changes. I don't adhere to most any structural rule that I usually have in place. My oldest daughter told me the other day that the only time she doesn't have to do things for herself is when she is sick. She sounded almost wishful! My goal is to make my kids as comfortable as possible and give them the best environment possible in which to get better quickly. It may mean that I miss a shift at work or I miss church for a Sunday, but if its what is best for my kid it happens. At the very least as a courtesy to others, I will not take my kids to public play dates or play areas so as to keep the germ spreading to a minimum. I just hope most people do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment