Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Stuff We Like

I am planning to frequently post info about baby/kids items that we like.  I know it's hard to navigate the world of "junk" that babies and kids can accumulate.  Obviously, everyone is different, but sometimes it helps to hear opinions on some of the options.  Shannon already mentioned Medela pumps and bottles and I agree. But today I wanted to feature swaddlers.  Eli has at times loved/hated being swaddled, but it has always helped him sleep.  He went from "both arms in" to "one arm in" to now, "no arms in", with the swaddler just being used for warmth on his lower body.  I've used two kinds of swaddlers.  One was "The First Years" swaddlers, seen here. Now we are using the Extra Large Kiddopotamus swaddler, like this one. Basically, when it's time to sleep, I take Eli in, get the room ready (turn off lights, turn on his fan, etc), put him in his "swaddles" (as we call it), give him his paci, and then start putting him down. The swaddler is a great signal that it's time to sleep.  He feels safe and snuggled, and warm.  There are a lot of good swaddlers out there. I know a lot of kids fight them, and that's ok.  I still think swaddling's the way to go until they just get out of it all the time.  That's my opinion, of course.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that swaddling is great. It IS a wonderful cue to the child that bedtime is just around the corner. Katie was a both arms out swaddler from the very beginning. It was nice because she broke of the startling to wake/arm flailing thing fairly quickly. I know that doesn't work for a lot of babies though. I can't remember when I stopped swaddling Katie, but it was after she could roll over back to front. I transitioned her to a sleep sack, but dropped that when summer came along. Now she sleeps in a nightgown.

    ReplyDelete