Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

This is an older post from another blog. I have copied it word for word and pasted it. It was written in late January of 2010. I can't say that everything I typed then still applies now, but I'm being lazy and just pasting it:

Here are some tips and tricks I have learned to make pumping and bottle feeding easier for me.

I began pumping when Katie was 4 or 5 weeks old. By that time she was on a solid 3 hour routine for feedings. She was also beginning to extend her nights. I had read somewhere, and absolutely found it to be true that your body produces more milk in the morning than in the evening. Therefore, in the morning I would feed Katie as normal. Then approximately 1 and 1/2 hours after she began eating, I would pump. I would have enough milk to store at least 4 ounces in the freezer, many times more. It would also not be a problem to feed Katie at the 3 hour mark, there was plenty of time to build my supply back up.

Here are some products related to pumping that I prefer and why:

-Medela Pump in Style pump-even though it is an expensive investment, I have found that it is a very reliable pump. When I had Brayden, I tried pumping with a cheaper electric pump and could never get more than a couple ounces. It is very easy to use and well worth the money in my opinion.

-Medela bottles- a small supply comes with the pump and I borrowed and purchased more to supplement my supply. Katie never had any issues accepting this bottle. It is very convenient because at times I just put the bottles that I have pumped into the fridge for later use. That way I don't have to transfer the milk and risk spilling any.

-Medela quick clean steam bags- I never looked to see if another brand carried these bags. They are fairly inexpensive. When I first began using my pump and bottles for Katie, I would wash and then sanitize the products on the stove for 10 minutes. Not only was it time consuming, but my water tended to leave a film on the products after I sanitized them. I have found that using the microsteam bags is much quicker and I do not have the problem with the film. With a high wattage microwave like mine, it only takes 1 and 1/2 minutes per load to steam.
***side note-Medela bottles are bpa free. Therefore they will take on a slightly cloudy appearance after they have been used and washed a couple times.

Last thought for the post-I have developed a washing/sanitizing system that works well in our home. I wash the bottles and pump parts. After I rinse them, I put them directly into the microsteam bag and steam them. When I remove them from the bag, I then put them on the drying rack on our counter. I usually put them away the following morning after all condensation has evaporated. When I am at work, my husband always knows that anything in the cabinet or on the drying rack is sanitized and ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment